The Daily Adventures of Monkeygrrl18

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Today

I started out at the Marais. This used to be a swampy part of Paris that was eventually filled in and is now an area of artisty stuff. I went but it wasn't very interesting because most places were closed. I stayed for a little bit but then I decided to go to the Bastille.

The Bastille is the area where the Bastille prison used to be before the French people destroyed it during the Revolution. Today there is a pillar in the square to commemorate where the prison once stood.



It was very strange because while I was walking down a street in the area a brass band of about 5 or 6 people was just walking around playing. Ummm.....ok. I just like walking around seeing things so I walked all the way to the Republic. Mostly I was just looking for a cafe to have lunch but most of the ones I found were Indian, Russian or fish, which I didn't feel like having.

I finally found a really nice restaraunt near the Republic where I had lunch. I had fish, a glass of wine and some chocolate mousse. Mmmmm. I don't know what it is but I must look American (probably because if you refer to my post of a few days ago I don't dress like a train-wreck) but a lot of people talk to me in English. I even ordered in French! I didn't pronounce everything right but, damnit, I tried. Of course when people do come up and talk to me in French it is usually to ask directions and I'm not sure what to tell them. Figures.

After lunch I walked some more until I reached the gates of Paris. Back in the day, when Paris was surrounded by a wall (way, way back when), there were huge gates through which people had to pass to enter the city. Unfortunately, most of the gates and the wall were destroyed with the growth of the city but these 2 still remain.




They are very impressive. You can almost imagine what it would have been like and how intimidating it would have been to have to walk up to these gates to enter the city. Very cool that they are still there and are in the middle of the city.

I walked along the street some more, did a little bit of shopping, and then decided that I wanted to see Pont Neuf. POnt Neuf is the oldest bridge in Paris. By looking at the bridge there would be no way to tell...it is very modern looking. It's very nice because it has little alcoves along the span in which people can sit. I rested there for awhile before I decided to go back home.



Unfortunately (or fortunately), the bridge is being restored so some of it is covered by scaffolding. My aunt laughed at me when I told her that I had gone to Notre Dame this morning, then the Marais, then the Bastille and then back to Pont Neuf because Pont Neuf is right next to Notre Dame. Oh well, that is the beauty of a monthly metro pass...I can ride the metro and the buses as often as I like so I don't actually have to organize my trip very efficiently.

At dinner we were all talking and I think I'm going to be taking a few trips in the next few weeks. One weekend I am supposed to be going with my uncle to make a presentation in Tours (France), then I am going with my aunt to Brittany (France), then I am going to take a few days off to go visit my friend in England and then I'll go to Dublin (Ireland). I'm also supposed to be going down to the south of France around my birthday as my other aunt suggested that my cousin and I celebrate together (we have the same birthday). A few days after that my brother is coming to France and we are going to go to Italy and possibly Spain or Greece. I'me very excited!

5 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Formidable!

From an admirer who just came back from an aquarium :)

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger hiddenskyy said...

Hurrah for all the planned trips! That's great...have fun and take lots of pics!

BTW those gate structures are awesome--never knew Paris was surrounded by a wall. (Thanks Megs!)

And haha, hey, it must be flattering to be recognized as "American" if that means you can coordinate your wardrobe properly, less the clashing-five-year-old-ish "look."

Good luck on your papers and group project!

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Megan said...

See? My site is not only entertaining, it is also educational. Wonder if Jodi Lerner will give me credit for being a teacher while I was interning. ;)

OMG...you should have seen this woman on the metro today! First off, she chewed gum like a cow...actually with her mouth all the way open. She must have thought she was cool, too, because she kept flipping her head. So she had on this dress that kinda reminded me of a paper bag, but it was this really ugly, dark plaid with denim border. On top of this "dress" she had what I can only imagine used to be a shirt. It stopped right in the middle of her boobs and was ripped. To add to this monstrosity, she had these weird, clearish-blue socks with white PLASTIC loafers. It was so fabulous...I wish I could have taken a picture but she kept staring at me funny (probably didn't understand why I matched).

:)

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger hiddenskyy said...

LMAO! Megahh...you're going to get me in trouble! I can't stiffle the laughter anymore! Hahaha.

Your poor eyes. Such abuse, such an offense to aesthetics. :P

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're just jealous because when my train crashes, I'll match it better than you.

*expands rip on shirt*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home